Institute for Local Government Sustainability Best Practices Framework
The Institute for Local Government’s Sustainability Best Practices Framework offers options for local action in ten areas. They are drawn from practical experiences of cities and counties throughout California.
The options vary in complexity and are adaptable to fit the unique needs and circumstances of individual communities. Local officials and staff may use the framework in a variety of ways, including to:
- Generate ideas about programs and policies to pursue;
- Inform a comprehensive climate action planning process; or
- Integrate sustainability into general plan policies.
Many of the activities can lead to multiple benefits, including:
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions;
- Energy, water, fuel and cost savings;
- Improved health; and
- Increased resilience to climate change impacts.