Join Our Team
Cal Cities Culture
Cal Cities is dedicated to creating a collaborative and inclusive environment where passionate professionals can thrive. We’re looking for candidates who are focused, driven, and above all else, seeking deeper meaning in their work. If you also have a passion for public service, local government, advancing equity, and working with dynamic, talented teammates, this just might be the right place for you. Learn about our mission, vision, and core beliefs.
We believe that differences are critical to our success. We bring together people from a wide variety of backgrounds and identities, all with the goal of building a more inclusive and equitable California.
We encourage new ideas and progressive thinking that provide solutions to the evolving challenges California's cities face.
We are passionate about our people and our members; we deliver extraordinary results for all.
Learn More About the Cal Cities' Teams
The Public Affairs team covers every corner of California and serves as the grassroots advocacy core of Cal Cities. Cal Cities regional public affairs managers work closely with city officials - both elected and professional city staff - to develop regional informational programs and carry out grassroots activities to support specific legislative, regulatory, and ballot measure goals.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including premium medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their dependent children, enrollment in California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), and more!
- Competitive salary
- Pension plan (CalPERS)
- Retirement plan (457)
- Comprehensive medical (HMO, PPO), dental (PPO), and vision plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life & long-term disability insurance
- Subsidies for your preferred transportation mode
- Paid time off (vacation, sick, manager time off, floating holidays, holidays)
- Learning and development
- Social events: happy hours, holiday events, and walking challenges
- Free snacks to keep you energized
- Flexible work environment
Our core hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with a 7.5-hour workday. However, when possible, we allow modified schedules so our employees can attain a healthy work/life balance. We encourage them to take time off to maintain their personal wellness.
You will hear from someone from Human Resources, the Hiring Manager for the position, and for some roles, additional members of the relevant hiring department.
Legislative Affairs Lobbyist, Housing, Community, and Economic Development
The League of California Cities is seeking a talented and professional Legislative Affairs Lobbyist with a focus on Housing, Community, and Economic Development (HCED) issues.
Representing the voice of municipal government, lobbyists serve a vital role in advancing Cal Cities’ advocacy efforts and policy development process. Engaging in highly complex advocacy activities, the housing and land use lobbyist promote and protect local control by actively communicating the interest of cities.
- Communicating the interest of cities to the Governor, Legislature, city officials and the public.
- Working with elected officials and staff within the Governor’s office and Legislature to shape public policy involving housing, land use and redevelopment issues.
- Serving as a liaison within intergovernmental and public interest group settings.
- Attending and making presentations at legislative hearings and meetings.
- Negotiating compromises with competing interest groups.
- Serving as a liaison with public and private sector interest groups.
- Supporting Cal Cities’ policy development process.
- Informing city officials on legislative and regulatory actions impacting housing, land use and redevelopment activities and policy.