Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer (LGBTQ) Caucus
The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer (LGBTQ) Caucus is a caucus organized within the League of California Cities. The LGBTQ Caucus is dedicated to developing advancement opportunities for individuals in the LGBTQ community, such as taking leadership roles in community activities and encouraging individuals to seek public office.
The LGBTQ Caucus was established under the bylaws of the League of California Cities in 2007.
The LGBTQ Caucus’s mission is to provide LGBTQ municipal officials and their colleagues with a forum to share ideas and develop leadership experience. To that end, it provides resources for city officials to discuss Cal Cities priorities and issues and offer avenues for communicating with the state's LGBTQ constituency.
- Provide a forum for the LGBTQ community within the framework of Cal Cities.
- Encourage the active involvement and full participation of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer municipal officials and their straight allies in the organization and programs of Cal Cities.
- Serve as a key resource to Cal Cities in identifying and providing names, qualifications, expertise, and interests of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer elected and appointed officials for consideration for service in various Cal Cities roles — both board-appointed and elected positions.
- Connect city officials sharing similar characteristics with one another promotes the Cal Cities mission of facilitating the sharing of information and ideas among city officials and promoting responsive city government.
- Play an active role in accomplishing the Cal Cities strategic goals.
- President - Dan Arriola, Council Member, Tracy
- Vice President - Tyler Williamson, Vice Mayor, Monterey
- Treasurer - Sepi Shyne, Mayor Pro Tempore, West Hollywood
- Secretary - Henry Lo, Mayor Pro Tempore, Monterey Park
- Immediate Past President - Gabe Quinto, Mayor Pro Tempore, El Cerrito
- Board Member - Lisa Middleton, Mayor Pro Tempore, Palm Springs
- Board Member - Jewel Hurtado, Council Member, Kingsburg
- Board Member - Mario Trujillo, Council Member, Downey
- Board Member - Ed Reece, Council Member, Claremont
The LGBTQ Caucus debuted the latest version of "Transgender in the Workplace: A Guide for Municipalities" at the 2019 Annual Conference and Expo. The resource book contains information about road maps, best practices, and recent changes to laws and regulations regarding transgender individuals. The guide can be used as a tool to implement good public policy for current or future transgender and gender non-conforming employees.
Keep an eye out for LGBTQ Caucus events in the Cal Cities Advocate.