The League of California Cities Fire Chiefs Department works to improve municipal fire service by protecting local control, advancing educational opportunities, and framing issues impacting cities with a fire chief’s perspective. Members of this department include fire chiefs of municipal fire departments, or agencies, authorities, or districts that serve cities, and all fire chief officers who are interested in advancing their leadership skill set and developing a professional network are invited to participate.
Subscribe to the Fire Chiefs Listserv to receive the latest updates and information.
Each year, the Fire Chiefs Department elects officers to oversee the work of the department and represent the department on the League's board of directors and other League policy committees. Fire Chiefs who are interested in pursuing a leadership role with the League should contact Meghan McKelvey.
2021-2022 Department Officers
President - Jeff Boyles, Newport Beach Fire Department Chief
First Vice President - Alexander Hamilton, Oxnard Fire Department Chief
Second Vice-President - Martin Serna, Torrance Fire Department Chief
Director - John Binaski, Clovis Fire Department Chief
Past President - Greg Barton, Beverly Hills Fire Department Chief
*Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director who serves a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of Cal Cities' standing seven policy committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
2022 Policy Committee Representatives
- Community Services – Mike McCliman, Deputy Fire Chief, Rancho Cucamonga
- Environmental Quality – Jarrod Vanlandingham, Fire Chief, Redding
- Governance, Transparency and Labor Relations – Gaudenz Panholzer, Fire Chief, Monterey
- Housing, Community and Economic Development – Adam Loeser, Fire Chief, Brea/Fullerton
- Public Safety – Martin Serna, Fire Chief, Torrance
- Revenue and Taxation –Mike Calderwood, Fire Chief, Carlsbad
- Transportation, Communication and Public Works – Greg Barton, Fire Chief, Beverly Hills
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
- California Fire Chiefs Association
- California State Firefighters Association
- Fire Districts Association of California
- California Professional Firefighters
- Fire Chiefs Listserv
- National Traffic Incident Management Responder Training Program
Regulatory working groups, task forces, and committees
- Appointee - Chief Greg Barton, Beverly Hills Fire Department
- Alternate Appointee - TBD