The League of California Cities Fire Chiefs Department works to improve municipal fire service by protecting local control, advancing educational opportunities, and framing issues impacting cities with a fire chief’s perspective. Members of this department include fire chiefs of municipal fire departments, or agencies, authorities, or districts that serve cities, and all fire chief officers who are interested in advancing their leadership skill set and developing a professional network are invited to participate.
Subscribe to the Fire Chiefs Listserv to receive the latest updates and information.
Each year, the Fire Chiefs Department elects officers to oversee the work of the department and represent the department on the League's board of directors and other League policy committees. Fire Chiefs who are interested in pursuing a leadership role with the League should contact Meghan McKelvey.
2022-2023 Department Officers
President - Alexander Hamilton, Fire Chief, Oxnard
First Vice President - Dave Spencer, Fire Chief, Auburn
Second Vice President - Adam Loeser, Fire Chief, Fullerton
Director - Dan Stefano, Fire Chief, Costa Mesa
Past President - Jeff Boyles, Fire Chief, Newport Beach
*Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director who serves a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of Cal Cities' standing seven policy committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
2023 Policy Committee Representatives
- Community Services – Vacant
- Environmental Quality – Jarrod Vanlandingham, Fire Chief, Redding
- Governance, Transparency and Labor Relations – Jeremy Ray, Deputy Fire Chief, Santa Clara
- Housing, Community and Economic Development – Chris Nigg, Fire Chief, La Verne
- Public Safety – Mike Calderwood, Fire Chief, Carlsbad
- Revenue and Taxation –Steve Pendergrass, Fire Chief, Hanford
- Transportation, Communication and Public Works – Greg Barton, Fire Chief, Beverly Hills
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
- California Fire Chiefs Association
- California State Firefighters Association
- Fire Districts Association of California
- California Professional Firefighters
- National Traffic Incident Management Responder Training Program
Regulatory working groups, task forces, and committees
- Appointee - Chief Greg Barton, Beverly Hills Fire Department
- Alternate Appointee - TBD
Department and Member Services Manager
Administrative Associate, Member Services