The League of California Cities advocacy efforts are strongest when joined by the voices of city leaders. Gov. Gavin Newsom signed off on the last bills of the 2023-24 legislative session on the Oct. 14 deadline with some big wins for cities. Cal Cities appreciates all the hard work and advocacy efforts by city officials during this legislative session. Visit Cal Cities' online bill search to view the outcome of specific measures.
State Ballot Measure Restricting Voters’ Input and Local Taxing Authority
The anti-local control California Business Roundtable measure has qualified for the November 2024 ballot. This anti-local control measure will decimate vital local and state services to the benefit of the largest and wealthiest corporations in California. Cal Cities, along with a broad coalition of local governments, labor, public safety, education, and infrastructure advocates, strongly oppose this initiative.
Make sure your city’s voice is heard by adopting a resolution opposing the harmful measure. Adopted city resolutions can be sent to BallotMeasures@calcities.org. For information about how the measure could impact your community, contact your local public affairs manager.
Cal Cities' advocacy efforts do not stop once bills are signed into law. Cal Cities' staff, members, and coalition partners work with state officials to make sure that local government interests are protected during the regulation-making process.
- CalChamber Coalition Letter to Cal Fire Requesting Public Comment Deadline Extension (January 12, 2023)
Transportation, Communications, and Public Works
- Cal Cities Comments on Draft Advanced Clean Fleets Public Fleets Regulatory Language (October 11, 2022)
- Support Governor's Proposal to Maintain $345 Million from FY 21-22 and FY 22-23 for SB 1383 Implementation Grants and the Organic Waste Infrastructure Program - Coalition Letter (March 29, 2023)
- Cal Cities Comments on AB 205 Emergency Rulemaking (September 30, 2022)
- Cal Cities Comments on Proposed Phase 2 Decision Revising Electric Rule 20 (September 15, 2022)
- Cal Cities Comment Letter on CCC Critical Infrastructure at Risk: Sea Level Rise Adaptation Planning Guidance - Public Draft (September 24, 2021)
- State Water Resources Control Board Proposed Statewide Construction Stormwater General Permit – Coalition Letter (August 13, 2021)
- Proposed Phase 1 Decision Revising Electric Rule 20 and Enhancing Program Oversight (April 27, 2021)
- California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Rule 20 Rulemaking Letter (October, 10, 2020)
- CalRecycle Proposed 1383 Regulations Letter (May 17, 2020)
- SB 1383 - Fourth Round League Comments (May 13, 2020)
- SB 1383 - Local Services Rates Analysis Comment Letter (February 14, 2020)
- California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Rule 20 Rulemaking Letter (April 20, 2020)
- SB 1383 Proposed Regulation Released June 2019 (July 16, 2019)
- SB 1383 - Third Round Cal Cities Comments (October 11, 2019)
- SB 1383 - Second Round Cal Cities Comments (July 16, 2019)
- SB 1383 - Coalition Comments (June 27, 2019)
- SB 1383 - First Round Cal Cities Comments (February 13, 2019)
- SB 1383 - Cal Cities Comments - (May 16, 2018)
Housing, Community, and Economic Development
How to Submit a Position Letter
- Visit the California Legislature Position Letter Portal to create an account and upload this letter. If you are having difficulty accessing the portal, please contact Meg Desmond.
- In addition to submitting the letter through the portal, please send a physical copy to your Legislator(s), and email a copy to Cal Cities, as well as your Regional Public Affairs Manager.