Public Works Officers
Appointed by the department president, the Public Works Officers Department has at least one representative on each of Cal Cities' policy committees. Representatives provide technical information to the committee, ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and help make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Subscribe to the Public Works Officers Listserv to receive the latest updates and information.
- Promotes the purposes and goals in the League of California Cities Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- Serves as a technical and advisory department to Cal Cities, including participation on Cal Cities Policy Committees through the analysis and development of position recommendations on pending legislation and proposed regulatory guidelines.
- Fosters the professional and personal development of its members.
- Supports the exchange of ideas with the County Engineers Association of California, California Department of Transportation, and other agency/industry representatives through the promotion and conduct of conferences, seminars, and related training methods.
- Advances the interest of cities by helping to develop, shape, and improve legislation and policies established that regulate the funding, development, construction, and maintenance of public infrastructure.
- Advances the interest of cities through the active participation on federal, state, and local committees and advisory boards.
- President - Ben Fine, Director of Public Works/City Engineer, Pismo Beach
- First Vice President - Julie Lucido, Director of Public Works, Napa
- Second Vice President - Scott Smith, Deputy Director of Public Works and Transportation, Irvine
- Immediate Past President - Jason Nutt, Assistant City Manager, Santa Rosa
- Department Director* - Rene Guerrero, Director of Public Works, Pomona
*Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director who serves a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of Cal Cities' standing seven policy committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
2023 Policy Committee Representatives
- Community Services - Jason Nutt, Assistant City Manager/Director of Transportation and Public Works, Santa Rosa
- Environmental Quality - Scott Smith, Deputy Director of Public Works and Transportation, Irvine
- Governance, Transparency, and Labor Relations - Julie Blue Lucido, Public Works Director, Napa
- Housing, Community, and Economic Development - Ken Berkman, Public Works Director, Burbank
- Public Safety - Vacant
- Revenue and Taxation - Mike Hennawy, Public Works Director, Santa Clarita
- Transportation, Communication, and Public Works - Ben Fine, Public Works Director, Pismo Beach
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
Department and Member Services Manager
Administrative Associate, Member Services