Personnel and Employee Relations
The major activities of the Personnel and Employee Relations Department include providing networking opportunities, fostering professional development through a variety of training opportunities and services, and serving as a technical and advisory resource to Cal Cities through appointed policy committee representatives.
Subscribe to the Personnel and Employee Relations Listserv to receive the latest updates and information.
- Promotes the purposes and goals established in the League of California Cities bylaws.
- Serves as a resource to the membership of the department and other departments of Cal Cities in their dealings with human resource, personnel and employee relations issues.
- Assists in the sponsoring and support of necessary and desirable legislation to benefit municipalities, and to assist in opposing unfavorable legislation.
- Provides a unifying structure for human resource administrators to contribute to the purposes of the Cal Cities.
President - Lisa Murphy, Director of Human Resources, Santa Cruz
First Vice President - Jamie Cannon, Director of Human Resources, Rohnert Park
Second Vice President - Kari Mendoza, Administrative Services Director, Beaumont
Department Director* - LaTanya Bellow, Director of Human Resources, Berkeley
Past President - Lucy Garcia, Assistant City Manager, Alhambra
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of Cal Cities standing seven policy committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
2023 Policy Committee Representatives
- Community Services – Vacant
- Environmental Quality – Paolo Beltran, Deputy City Manager, Lakewood
- Governance, Transparency, and Labor Relations – George Harris, Director of Finance, Lancaster
- Housing, Community, and Economic Development – LaTanya Bellow, Deputy City Manager, Berkeley
- Public Safety – LeeAnn McPhillips, Administrative Services and Human Resources Director, Gilroy
- Revenue and Taxation – Robert Neiuber, Human Resources Director, Rancho Cucamonga
- Transportation, Communication, and Public Works – Lucy Garcia, Assistant City Manager, Alhambra
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
Department and Member Services Manager
Administrative Associate, Member Services