African American Caucus
The African American Caucus connects city officials to important policymakers by working with the California Legislature and its Legislative Black Caucus, as well as corporate and civic leaders, to build long-lasting relationships with the people in public policy decision-making positions.
Established in 1998, one of the African American Caucus' primary objectives is to promote diversity in the League of California Cities and the state Legislature through the development of symposia on topics vital to the African American community. The caucus coordinates participation within Cal Cities’ decision-making process through membership on the Cal Cities board of directors, policy committees, departments, and regional divisions.
The African American Caucus' mission is to represent the interests of African American city officials and the greater African American community within the League of California Cities, the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, and related national organizations. This mission will be achieved by:
- Identification of issues of concern to the African American community.
- Vocalization of those issues through sponsorship of educational seminars, visible position-taking, and heightened concerted involvement in the League of California Cities.
To achieve its goals, the African American Caucus established seven ad hoc committees: Public Policy, Legislation, Education, Membership, Communications, and Finance. These committees are responsible for planning and carrying out the range of caucus activities throughout the year, including:
- Networking with the members of the California State Legislature and United States Congress to identify important legislation that affects the African American community.
- Performing outreach and building relationships with statewide and national organizations (e.g., the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, NAACP, the Urban League, and the Latino Caucus of the League of California Cities).
- Reviewing and making recommendations on bills in a manner consistent with the African American Caucus mission statement.
- Developing educational symposia on important topics.
- Recruiting new members through networking and educational events.
- Obtaining corporate sponsorship, fundraising, and developing long-term sources of income for the organization.