Rosenberg's Rules of Order: Simple Rules of Parliamentary Procedure for the 21st Century, Revised 2011
League of California cities and the statewide travel program
In partnership with CSAC, CSDA, and the State of California, the League of California Cities is proud to offer the enhanced CA Department of General Services (DGS) Statewide Travel Program for the most economical rates available for travel-related services such as airfare, car rentals, travel agency services, and hotels.
The program features the following for official city travel:
- Access to all state fares and discounts previously available only to state agencies
- Negotiated contract rates for travel agency services with access to a one-stop shop online booking tool that provides cost savings, data consolidation, traveler tracking and enforceable travel policy
- Discount airfare contracts with Southwest Airlines and United Airlines for in-state, out-of-state and international routes
- Southwest Airlines (Primary Domestic Preferred Carrier): 5% discount on all fares
- Delta Airlines (Secondary Domestic Preferred Carrier and International Preferred Carrier): 4% discount on all fares
- Negotiated contract rates for short-term and long-term car rentals through Enterprise that include $300,000 third party liability insurance coverage, no one-way drop charges, market fuel rates, and counter by-pass service
- Travel Payment System with no annual fees and a prompt payment incentive
- Use of virtual payments for hotel reservations: a unique credit card number generated digitally during the hotel reservation process and transmitted to the hotel authorizing room and tax
A complete list of all contracts and information may be seen on the DGS Statewide Travel Program webpage: www.dgs.ca.gov/OFAM/travel. Also, watch the Statewide Travel Program’s video about their efficient and cost-effective travel services.
How to Participate
- Step 1: Contact Statewide Travel Program. All necessary paperwork, applications and forms listed below will be provided by the Travel Program Specialist. They will also assist with the set-up process, provide instructions and answer your questions regarding participation in the program. Contact 916.376.3974 or StatewideTravelProgram@dgs.ca.gov.
- Step 2: Apply for a Citibank Central Travel Account (CTA) via the DGS Statewide Travel Program. Citibank is the current required payment system for access to the state discounted rates and contracts. The CTA payment system is a unique centrally-billed cardless account designed especially for this program.
- Step 3: Establish an account with CalTravelStore, the state-authorized Travel Management Services (TMS) provider. In addition to 16 onsite travel agents that assist by phone, CalTravelStore also provides Concur, a one-stop online booking tool where travelers can book air, car, and hotel reservations all in one location and obtain access to the contracted state government rates.
- Step 4: Work with CalTravelStore to establish your Concur online booking tool site. Provide CTA account information, accounting/billing code data, travel policy requirements, and an optional pre-trip approval process.
Responsibility of the City
It is the city’s responsibility to pay their CTA in full each month in a timely manner. If there are reconciliation issues, it is the responsibility of the city to assemble the details and make adjustments with Citibank and/or CalTravelStore. These issues should be identified, communicated, and adjusted as soon as they are discovered.
You will have access to two different online reporting systems to assist you with reconciliation of your account, CitiManager and the iBank reporting system. Enrollment in iBank is automatic when your account with CalTravelStore is created. Enrollment with CitiManager will occur after your Citibank CTA application has been processed and approved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is this program beneficial to our city?
In these challenging economic times, government entities are taking a hard look at managing their business travel and reducing travel expenses. The State of California, Department of General Services, Statewide Travel Program offers efficient and cost-effective travel management services to government entities and provides the most economical rates and fares available through the use of state negotiated contracts for airlines, car rentals, travel management services, and travel payment system. By leveraging the state's total travel spend, the Statewide Travel Program gains the advantage of the best pricing model available.
Additionally, the Statewide Travel Program helps cities meet their “Duty of Care” responsibilities by providing the means to locate travelers within minutes in cases of emergency.
Why use CalTravelStore and the Citibank Travel Payment System for travel arrangements?
CalTravelStore is the only authorized Travel Management Services (TMS) provider with access to the negotiated contract rates for the State of California's Statewide Travel Program. The Citibank payment system is the required form of payment. Effective 7/1/10, airlines have agreed to extend the discounted fares to cities with the following provisions:
1- Local government business travelers must use the authorized TMS provider, CalTravelStore, or the Concur online booking tool.
2- Local government business travelers must use the authorized form of payment, the Citibank CTA.
These two requirements prevent fraud and misuse of the program.
Are there any membership fees to participate in the program?
There is no fee charged by the Statewide Travel Program to participate in the program.
What are the transaction fees for arranging travel via the Concur online booking tool or the CalTravelStore (the authorized travel agency)?
The Statewide Travel Program has negotiated rates for travel agency services. The transaction fees are $5-7 for an online booking and $12 for an agent-assisted booking.
How does the billing work?
Citibank will accrue the charges and create a billing statement on the 25th of each month. The statement is available 24 hours after the cycle cut-off date and can only be accessed online. The payment is due in full by the next payment cycle. The statement and CTA reconciliation report contain at a minimum the traveler’s name, ticket number and dollar amount. Should you need additional traveler information, the iBank reporting system provides over 120 reporting capabilities.
The League of California Cities is pleased to offer this program as an added service to our members as a way of saving limited local dollars through a cost-effective travel alternative. If you have additional questions about the program, please contact the DGS Travel Program at 916.376.3974 or StatewideTravelProgram@dgs.ca.gov.